19 Nov 2015

Getting Quoty

There was a quote challenge tag that was going around some time ago, right. Soumya and Keirthana were nice enough to tag me in it. Taking this up now when I'm fast running out of things to say :P


You want me to be a tragic backdrop so that you can appear to be illuminated, so that people can say ‘Wow, isn't he so terribly brave to love a girl who is so obviously sad?’ You think I’ll be the dark sky so you can be the star? I’ll swallow you whole.
– Warsan Shire

I am nobody’s crutch, I am no liability, I have as much to offer as you do, and then some – took me a long time to feel this way about myself but I finally got there. Warsan makes me want to cry of happiness with every word that comes out of her pen.

***
The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.
No credit necessary, is there?

I valued complete honesty in my relationships till I understood that even the best of people have the worst skeletons in their cupboards. I kept putting people on a pedestal only to find out that I was so terribly wrong about them at some point. And in my book, loss of respect is a one-way street. BUT understanding that we are all but human, that we all make mistakes, that we all slip up now and again, that we are all colored in shades of grey (because there IS no black and white when it comes to human behavior) is the one thing that has helped me salvage some relationships.

I don’t want the truth unless it is necessary for me to know it.

***

Saved the best for the last:
We're so self-important. So arrogant. Everybody's going to save something now. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save the snails. And the supreme arrogance? Save the planet! Are these people kidding? Save the planet? We don't even know how to take care of ourselves; we haven't learned how to care for one another. We're gonna save the fuckin' planet? . . . And, by the way, there's nothing wrong with the planet in the first place. The planet is fine. The people are fucked! Compared with the people, the planet is doin' great. It's been here over four billion years . . . The planet isn't goin' anywhere, folks. We are! We're goin' away. Pack your shit, we're goin' away. And we won't leave much of a trace. Thank God for that. Nothing left. Maybe a little Styrofoam. The planet will be here, and we'll be gone. Another failed mutation; another closed-end biological mistake.
– George Carlin

I love this man. I absolutely adore him.

This quote is quite succinct, my exact hopes for the future of humanity. Why? Because we have mutated into one fucked up race that cares only about itself and money.

Also, I can’t talk about Carlin and not show you this:
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!
HAHAHA. While he is talking about Christianity specifically, it applies to all religions. And I can’t stop agreeing.

Organized religion is the industrial-strength phenol that is slowly degrading the quality of the fabric that is humanity, the sooner we realize that, the better for us.

***

What are your favorite quotes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you can say it.